New Year’s Schmesolutions



I am not one for New Year’s resolutions. I don’t normally make them myself, and don’t put much stake into anyone else’s. They seem to be fleeting at best in most cases. This year however, I am setting aside my cynicism to make a few resolutions of my own, with a few rules. First, goals must be specific. Rather than say “I want to work out more”, the goal should be quantifiable, such as “I will join a gym and work out 3 times a week”. Secondly, goals must be achievable. Ideally, I’d like my resolution to be “I will make six figures”. But in all seriousness, it’s not going to happen. So with those rules in mind, I present my 2012 resolutions:

1. Tailor everything.

I spend too much of my time thinking about clothes, trying on clothes, buying clothes, only to have a full closet and nothing to wear. Being somewhat of an adult now, I’ve come to realize that clothes look best when they fit properly. I learned this the hard way when I put on a pair of too old dress pants yesterday morning to find they were way too big for me, but just wrapped a belt around the top. DT then proceeded to call me “Diaper Butt” for the rest of the day. Not a good look. So, to the tailor I shall go.

2. Keep in touch.

Birthday cards. Monogrammed stationary. These are a few of my favorite things. I want to be better about sending them. A Facebook birthday wall post is well and good, but I want something a bit more personal coming from me. I still get excited to open my mailbox and see a birthday card or a letter from a friend. Something about handwritten notes is just classic, intimate, and means so much. I’d like to give that feeling of joy to the important people around me.

3. Read more.

This is one resolution I should not have a problem doing. I read The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach while I was in Massachusetts for Christmas. I tried to stretch it out as long as possible since I was enjoying it so much, but it didn’t last nearly as long as I wanted it to. It was a really amazing novel that I can’t wait to read again in a year or so. Back at home, I finally got a chance to read the second book in the Steig Larsson series, The Girl Who Played with Fire. Same problem – couldn’t put it down, but didn’t want it to end. And now, I have Stephen King’s newest book waiting for me at home. Having the Library of Congress hand deliver to DT is pretty convenient, but I may have to invest in a DC public library card.

There are a few other things I want to accomplish this year that I haven’t fully worked out yet. Finally watch The Wire (hello, HBO Go!), lose my love handles (ain’t nothin’ to love about them), and get my professional life on track. That last one is a doozy, and I am taking suggestions on a plan of attack.

Comments

Popular Posts