Currently Reading: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking


To those that know me, I'm a quiet person.  I listen far more than I speak.  I prefer to work on my own in a quiet space.  I express myself far better through writing than through speech.  In short, I'm pretty introverted.

Don't get me wrong - I like to go to parties and bars and dance and talk to people, but after all that, some downtime by myself is mandatory.  

When I heard about this book, I was intrigued, because being an introvert, while fantastic in my opinion, certainly has some downsides.  In job interviews, I've been told that I don't "sell myself" enough, to which I think, "well, my merits speak for themselves".  How naive of me.  At parties where I don't know many people, I feel uncomfortable because I loathe making small talk.  

This book explores introverts and extroverts, looking at the brain function of each, the culture surrounding each type, and the school/work strengths and weaknesses.  

The book was interesting, but not particularly useful.  We all act extroverted, whether we truly are or not, in certain situations.  Western culture has what is called the "Extrovert Ideal" - we seek out people who are fun, gregarious, easy to get along with.  But what about the people who take a bit more time to warm up?  

Essentially, what this book taught me is that you should examine your habits and from them, determine your needs in both your work and social life.  Extroverted?  Looks for a job where you are surrounded by people and able to interact easily.  Introverted?  Office space with doors is key, no open floor plans.  Extroverted?  Throw parties, host dinners, and thrive off of the energy that you get from others.  Introverted?  There's nothing wrong with curling up with a book.

But very, very few people are completely one or the other, so feel free to mix it up.  And recognize that others' needs are also based on their type, so take that into consideration as well.  

Comments

Popular Posts