Currently Reading: The Abstinence Teacher


Just started reading it this morning on the metro, so I am only about 30 pages in, but it seems promising.  I've read two other Perrotta novels recently (Little Children and The Leftovers) and really like his style of storytelling.  He brings out the darker side of suburbia and tears down traditional constructs of gender and class.  I think he is also very good at showing the underlying depression in seemingly happy or successful characters.  That said, The Abstinence Teacher is about a Sex Ed upheaval, moving into abstinence only education, and the teacher who is forced to participate in it.  Also, from my Googling the picture, I discovered that it is soon going to be a movie with Sandra Bullock.  Good to know. 

What are you reading lately?  I'm always looking for good recommendations!


Comments

Popular Posts