Currently Reading: The Edible Woman


I just started this.  Like, this morning.  So I don't have too much to say yet.  I picked it up because I've read The Handmaid's Tale too many times to count, and even wrote my thesis on it, so it seemed like it was time to give some other Margaret Atwood a try.  This is her first novel.  She previously had some books of poetry published, but this took her into the mainstream, particularly as a feminist.  Even though it's only the very beginning of the book, there are some very clear themes that will be explored, including gender roles and the male/female relationship.  From what I've heard about it, food also becomes a major focal point, which makes sense because many "feminist" novels use food as a metaphor.  My thesis was titled "Self-Loathing of the Female Body Caused by Debasing Sexual Experiences" and in each novel I studied, the female protagonist either suffered from an eating disorder or had a very powerful relationship with food.  Either way this novel goes, I'm very much looking forward to it.  It's time for me to get back to some of my collegiate roots.   


Comments

Popular Posts