Currently Reading: Gone Girl


Everyone and their mom had been reading this book, so I decided to give it a go.  Hurricane Sandy's wrath  and decision to keep me trapped inside for 3 days gave me ample opportunity to tackle it.  First, the book is extremely well-written.  It writes from the perspective of two different characters, and never loses each character's individual voice.  The story sets up a mystery - stay at home wife Amy goes missing on her fifth wedding anniversary and Nick, her husband, is the prime suspect.  Everything is told from Nick's perspective  as Amy goes missing, and from Amy's diary entries from when she and Nick first met through the days leading up to her disappearance.  More and more clues are discovered and Nick's innocence is less and less likely.  And then... the second part of the novel starts and everything is completely turned on its head.  

The novel is smart, funny, witty, scary, and a look into the reality of marriage.  Relationships are not what they seem from the outside.  While I was incredibly drawn into the book as I went through it, I hated the ending.  Hated, hated, hated.  Isn't that the most common complaint for books or movies?  No matter how good everything leading up to it is, if the ending doesn't feel write, the whole thing is ruined.  I don't want to say that the whole book was ruined for me, but I was really expecting and looking forward to some comeuppance for one of the characters and never felt like it came.  Regardless, the book was absolutely worth reading.  Maybe you won't hate the ending like I did, I do tend to be particular about that stuff.      

Comments

Popular Posts