Currently Watching

1 // 2 // 3 //

Short Term 12 // This movie got serious buzz last year due to Brie Larson's performance and I finally checked it out last weekend.  Holy amazing.  The film is about Short Term 12, a short term care facility for kids with nowhere else to go, essentially while the county figures out what to do with them.  The kids range in age from about 10 to 17 and come from broken homes, abusive parents, or are orphans.  Larson's character works at the facility, but as the film goes on, we learn that she has a deeper connection to these kids and a more complicated reason for taking this job.  This movie is heartbreaking.  You will cry.  One scene in particular, where one of the kids expresses his feelings the only way he knows how, through rap, is so powerful and just broke me.  5 stars for this one.

Enough Said //  Also this weekend, I watched Enough Said starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini.  Each of them are divorced, middle-aged, and seeing their only child off to college.  They meet and slowly, somewhat unsurely, start a relationship.  The performances are incredibly strong, from the two leads to smaller roles played by Catherine Keener, Toni Collette, and the blog world's own Tavi Gevinson.  Also, why is this Louis-Dreyfus' first lead role in a movie?  She was amazing.  The story is sweet, a little awkward, and feels incredibly realistic.  I loved it.  

Don Jon // Is it weird to admit I've been a JGL fan since 3rd Rock from the Sun?  Glad that's settled.  DT and I watched Don Jon not too long ago and while it was far from perfect, I thought it was a great first go for him as a writer and director.  The story follows John, a sex addict Jersey boy, as he maybe falls in love for the first time with Scarlett Johansson's character.  The movie is funny, slightly ridiculous, and portrays sex addiction in a way that I can't remember seeing before.  Things become sort of predictable in the third act, but overall, this is definitely worth watching.

True Blood - The Final Season // Yes, I'm still watching True Blood.  Yes, it's only gotten more and more ridiculous, but isn't that sort of the point?  It's still fun and campy and very self-aware, which I appreciate.  It's also the final season and that feels right.  We're only one episode in, but things have pretty much gone nuts with attacks from the Hep-V infected vampires (never thought I'd write that phrase on my blog) and with the alleged death (I'm still not convinced) of one of our major characters.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the series and hope that things end on a high note.  

Comments

Popular Posts