Currently Watching

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 //

Orange is the New Black //  I'm very late to the game on this one, but I finally watched Season 1 of Orange is the New Black.  Overall, I have to say I enjoyed it, considering I watched the entire season in less than a week.  It's amazing the things you can accomplish when your boyfriend is away for a weekend and you have the tv to yourself.  The only issue I really had with it was that I found Piper to be the least interesting character, which is problematic considering she's the protagonist.  Season 2 starts on June 6th and I'll give it another go.  (Available on Netflix)

Fargo //  The movie is one of my all-time favorites, so I was skeptical when I heard it was being turned into a television show.  However, when I heard the cast included Martin Freeman and Colin Hanks, I was intrigued.  So far, I'm only two episodes in, but the show sets tone from the start.  It's dark, and less  funny than the movie, but there's still a general ominous feeling that leaves you thinking anything could happen.  And it does.  The action gets started immediately, so get in the for ride. (Currently airing on FX)

Insidious Chapter 2 //  Insidious was a great scary movie.  The characters felt real and made decisions that real people would make.  They moved when they thought their house was haunted - how often does that happen in a movie!?  I watched the sequel recently and it picked up right where the first film left off.  The scares are still there, as well as the great acting.  Sequels are rarely as good as the original, but this one held its own and added to the background of the story without jumping the shark. (Available on Netflix)

Rectify //  When my mom tells me about a tv show, I know it's a good one.  She kept raving about this Sundance Channel show, and when I was home last weekend, we sat down to watch Episode 1.  The story centers around a man who has spent the last two or three decades on death row, when he is suddenly released due to DNA evidence.  After his prison days, adjusting to life outside its walls doesn't come naturally to him.  There is still the mystery of who committed the crime that he was put away for, along with many townspeople still thinking he is guilty.  It's slow, it's smart, and it's a great show.  (Season 2 starting on Sundance Channel; Season 1 available on Netflix)

An Idiot Abroad // Again, while I was home, a family member forced a show on me.  In this case, it was my brother and the show was An Idiot Abroad.  I'm so glad he did.  Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant decide to send their friend, Karl Pilkington, around the world to experience different cultures and see the Seven Wonders.  This is all well and good, except Karl is the most unintentionally funny person I've ever had the pleasure of watching.  He is utterly unimpressed by almost everything he sees. I can honestly only watch one episode at a time because my jaw and abs are so sore from laughing.  Karl sees the world as no one else does. (Available on Netflix)




Comments

Popular Posts