Currently Reading: State of Wonder



Hands down, this is my favorite novel I've read in 2012.  And there's been a lot of competition.  The very basic plot summary is that a scientist from Minnesota travels to the Amazon to check up on a fellow scientist, and also learn how her other colleague was killed.  The book owes a lot to the great Heart of Darkness, but really stands on its own two feet.  This is my first foray into Ann Patchett's work, but I am eager to read her other novels.  The characters are complicated, difficult, and very realistic, and she manages to make even the most remote and foreign setting seem eerily familiar.  I've only got about 50 pages left and am already sad to see it end.  There's also a nice nod to Robinson Crusoe with a Friday-like character named Easter.  Patchett may borrow from classic novels, but State of Wonder is a classic in its own right. I cannot say enough good things about it.  

Side note: DT and I saw Prometheus last night.  Super good.  It had its flaws, but overall, it was an amazing film of epic proportions.  Fassbender was unbelievable as always, as was Charlize Theron.  The effects were truly awesome and it left me wanting more.  If you have any interest in sci-fi, check it out.  

Comments

Popular Posts