Currently Reading: Cosmopolis


It took me a freakishly long time to find a picture of this book, because every time I typed in "Cosmopolis", all I got were pictures of Robert Pattinson and stories about the Kristen Stewart cheating scandal.  Not exactly what I was going for.  That said, this book was just made into a movie starring the aforementioned Pattinson and directed by one of my favorite weirdo directors, David Cronenberg.  It was met with some mixed reviews, but I haven't seen it yet, so this little post will strictly be about the book.  The plot is that Eric Packer, a billionaire playboy involved in international finance, takes an entire day driving around Manhattan in his armored limousine, searching for a haircut.  Sound boring?  It's not.  Along the way, he meets with different advisers of his, his doctor, his wife, and several lovers.  There is also unspeakable violence happening around him and to people he knows virtually the entire time.  Packer brings about his own ruin, both financially and physically, seemingly just to see if he can.  The story is a bizarre one, but entertaining.  I foresee more DeLillo in my future.


Comments

Popular Posts